Thu, 23 Sep 2021

Starlin Castro suspended 30 games, to be released by Nationals

Field Level Media
31 Jul 2021, 02:25 GMT+10

Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro on Friday received a 30-game suspension without pay and an undisclosed fine for violating Major League Baseball's joint policy on domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse -- a finding that the team said will end his Nationals' tenure.

"My office has completed its investigation into the allegations that Starlin Castro violated Major League Baseball's Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Castro violated our Policy and that discipline is appropriate."

The Nationals released the following statement on the heels of the suspension:

"We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. We fully support the Commissioner's decision and will be releasing Starlin Castro upon the completion of his suspension. Per the terms of the policy, we will have no further comment on this matter."

Castro, 31, had been placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball on July 16 amid an accusation of domestic violence.

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told reporters four days later that he was "not planning on having Starlin Castro back (with the team)."

A four-time All-Star, Castro is batting .283 with three homers and 38 RBIs in 87 games this season. He signed a two-year, $12 million contract before the start of the 2020 season.

Castro did not face charges in a 2011 incident in Chicago in which he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman after she passed out. The Illinois State's Attorney's Office announced in 2012 that charges were not being brought against Castro due to insufficient evidence.

--Field Level Media

Sign up for Chicago News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!